Water damage means damages caused by water like rust, rotting wood, de laminating etc. The damage can be either minor or major depending upon the intensity of flood caused by water. The damage that is caused by water is not always cover under insurance and it would not help you with the restoration of damage caused by water. The water damage can be done because of the loosening of the pipe or failure of pump etc. These things are not covered under insurance.
Unlike India, in other countries like USA people who are affected by water damage or flood can apply some grants to the government. These grants help in assisting after water damage and helps in recovering your loss.
Cause of water damage
There can be different factors that can lead to water flood at home. For instance, damage can be occurred by broken dishwater, overflow of the washing machine, leakage of pipes or dishwater and clogging of toilets, there could be an issue with HVAC issues (heating, ventilator, and air conditioner). It is advisable to take the precautions so that the problem could be eradicated as soon as possible without any large damage. Some different types of water are mentioned below.
- Category 1 water- This is the “clean water” where there is no kind of threat to humankind. It is a kind of water that does not pose any problem for us. For instance, damage from sink overflowing, supply lines, broken water taps etc.
- Category 2 water- This is known as “grey water”. Due to this, a person can become sick, it is partially clean but mostly includes different types of chemicals etc.
- Category 3 water- This type of water is known as “black water” as it is grossly contaminated and not at all sanitary. This type of water has harmful bacteria and viruses which can make a person sick immediately after consuming it. This can be said as toilet water.
Some measures to take in order to avoid water damage at home.
- Know the source- It is important to know first that from where water is coming and stop the flow immediately. In the case of bursting a pipe or failure of the heater, one should immediately turn off the main switch i.e. the main line of water.
- Turn off the power- The first measure anyone should take is cutting off the power that is cutting off the electricity at your home from the main source and also from your gas. One should not handle electrical equipment.
- Rescue your valuable things- It may sound stupid but it is also an important role while your house is flooding, you should take care of your valuable possession.
- Standing water- It is important to get rid of the water that is sitting as it can cause more damage to the house, you should pump out the sitting water and also while doing this one should take care of themselves by wearing protective gloves, rubber boots, mask etc.
Water damage can be fatal to one’s life. It is important to take precautions to protect yourself and your house. Refer to https://www.waterdamagemiami.com/ for more information.